Monday, September 20, 2010

A car ride with a 2 and 1/2 year old

I like to write down conversations that I have with my 2 year old from time to time so that I can remember those funny little things that they say or do. He's really been jabbering up a storm in the car these days and I can't understand some of his words, so it's been hard to write it down. But here goes, in this episode I realize that I'm not appreciated in my own time. A car ride with a 2 and 1/2 year old:

Me: Baby, did you have a good day today?
J: My ca Momma ca My ca get baff! OOh, dirty ca! We go ca wasth, Mommy?
Me: Yes, we're going to go through the car wash. Who did you play with today at school?
J: My pay Maffew, Jeffrey push me. Momma Jeffrey push zthackson.
Me: Well what did you do to him is the question. Were you playing nicely?
J: Jeffrey push me.
Me: Did you hug afterwards and play nicely after that? You and Jeffrey are friends.
J: No biting fwiends!
Me: That's right! What are teeth for?
J: EATING! No bite fwiends, Momma. Dat man walking. Dat man big teef. Dog, ruff! ruff! Tat, Meeeow! Geema has tat. Papa has tat. Meeeeow. No biting tat!
Me: Yes, Geema and Papa have 2 cats. Do you know their names?
J: Be sthweet tat!
Me: Yes, we have to be sweet to the cats. Do you know anyone with a dog?
J: Sthofie! Sthofie not big dog. Be sthweet Sthofie! Be sthweet to dog! Stofie is big dog.
Me: Sophie isn't a big dog! You're silly! Who is bigger Sophie or Buddy the Cat?
J: Sthofie not big. Not big dog, Momma.
Me: Sophie is a little dog, right? Is Buddy the cat bigger that Sophie the dog?
J: Baby Gam took my ca
Me: No, he didn't you gave it to him, I saw you! You have another car, just play with that one.
J: My go ca wasth? My ca get baff? My big boy. My Sthofie. My ca get baff? My watch movie? My watch Lightnin Keen? My asthk Daddy my watch movie. My little bue ca, Mommy. Find it?
At this point, "Baby Gam" starts to cry and I make up a song about "My two boys, two boys, sweet two boys" to distract him. It stopped the crying and I was just beginning to feel proud of myself for stopping the ruckus that was about to ensue by making up such a cheerful little song...Just as I'm getting to the good part of my impromptu serenade...
J: Mommy sthop sthinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment